Sunday, January 2, 2011

Looking back at 2010, looking forward at 2011

I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the past year and what I have planned for the next year.

Last year, in January, I was presented with a "Building Lives" Award from Habitat for Humanity for my work with the local Family Selection Committee. This year, I will be featured in the CSI - Springfield Chapter (Construction Specification Institute) newsletter, in the "Member Spotlight" section. As this only happens to 12 people a year, I find this a great honor. I have to submit my bio tomorrow, and a photo.. eek- I have to find a photo!

Also, in January, I started taking my architectural exams. There are seven total. I've taken and passed five. I have two left; I'm dreading Structures because of the amount of content, but Schematic Design should be relatively easy. The second hardest part of taking these exams (after studying) is the money to take them; each one is $210.

The Hubs and I started building my greenhouse last Spring. As of now, it still needs:
1. Windows with automatic vent openers
2. Rain barrels for thermal retention
3. Insulation
4. Clear film on the inside (I'm not sure if we're still doing this.)
5. Shelves and "accessories" such as the rack for my garden tools.

Last year, I started most of my seeds myself. I ended up buying a few peppers, tomatoes and eggplant, but they weren't necessary. This year, I need to reduce the amount of plants that I put in my garden. Last year I kind of crammed them in and their productivity suffered. This year I'll start my own seeds again.

Since I have a new phone (HTC Evo from Sprint), I have a Kindle app. I would like to read at least one book a month. I used to read a lot, but when I was in college I had so much reading to do for assignments that I didn't have time (or the desire) to read for pleasure.

Lastly, I need to work on my weight. The Hubs and I had a health assessment for our insurance a couple weeks ago. I don't even want to discuss my BMI; it was high and embarrassing and I'm classified as obese. My blood pressure was perfect. My cholesterol (the bad kind) was high, but the good kind and triglycerides were good.
When I was laid off last year, I went to the gym 4 times a week and lost 15 pounds. Since I was rehired in July I've gained back the 15 plus an extra 5. Not too proud of that. It happened because at the end of workday I was so mentally and physically exhausted that I didn't want to go to the gym. I started back up again in December, but I still have a long way to go.
I could stand to lose 50 pounds, which is doable by September or so of this year. No reason for that month, but doctors say losing more than 2 pounds a week is not healthy and usually leads to failure (re-gaining of the weight) so I want to lose it steadily.
Additionally, I would like to eat more vegetarian meals. This would help my cholesterol and weight. I track the food I eat, and half a cup of ground pork has more fat and calories than several cups of vegetables. I could eat more vegetables, feel more "filled" and be healthier. It seems like no-brainer.

I'd like to post at least once a week. I slacked off a bit the second half of last year, but I think it's important to keep a record of accomplishments. It gives me something to look back on and be proud of. I'd also like more people to respond to my posts. *hint hint* Which I guess means I need to ask a question at the end of each post to get a response to.

So, looking back at your 2010 and looking forward on your 2011, what kind of accomplishments do you see and what kind of goals do you have?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...