Sunday, January 2, 2011

Vegetarian Meal #1: Lentil Vegetable Soup with Wild Rice

I am a member of www.sparkpeople.com. On this website, I track the food I eat (when I remember) and my exercise (every time I go to the gym.) I track my exercise so I can say "I went to the gym twice last week" and be honest about it. Otherwise, a month goes by before I realize I haven't been.

Part of SparkPeople is a website full of recipes, some healthy, some not so much. The whole point of www.recipes.sparkpeople.com is to figure out how many calories your homemade meals have in them, and then you can share them with other members. I have a lot of pantry staples that I need to get rid of (the recipe book I created on Spark Recipes is called "Getting Rid of Cabinet Items"), such as beans and rice and pasta. Some are a year old or more, but they're dry and sealed so they're bugless and not stale. But I still should get rid of them and get some fresh. Two of the items I need to get rid of are lentils and rice, so this is the recipe I found:

Lentil Vegetable Soup with Wild Rice

Ingredients

    3/4 cup lentils, sorted and rinsed 
    3/4 cup diced carrot 
    3/4 cup diced celery 
    3/4 cup chopped onion 
    1/4 cup wild rice 
    1/4 cup converted rice (like Uncle Ben's) 
    2 cloves garlic, minced 
    1 teaspoon dried oregano 
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme 
    5 cups water 
    4 teaspoons vegetable bouillon seasoning 
    1 bay leaf 
    1 14-1/2 oz. can cut up tomatoes 
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar 
    1/4 cup minced fresh parsley 
    2 tablespoons minced fresh basil, optional

Directions

Combine all ingredients on the list through the canned tomatoes in a large pot (do not add the Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, parsley or basil yet). Bring to a boil, then simmer until lentils and rice are tender (about 35-45 minutes). Remove the bay leaf. Scoop out about two cups of the soup and blend well in the blender. Return the blended soup to the pot. Now stir in the Worcestershire sauce, the apple cider vinegar, the fresh parsley (and the fresh basil if using). Makes 4 servings, 2 cups each.

My notes: 

I didn't have wild rice so I used 1/2 c of Uncle Ben's instant rice. Instead of vegetable bouillon, I used a low sodium chicken bouillon. I didn't have a bay leaf and I didn't use the last four ingredients. Honestly, I forgot to add them!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...