Saturday, April 17, 2010

Garden report 4.17.10

Today I spent nearly four hours in the garden, weeding, planting seeds and transplanting seedlings. I'm trying to remember to wear sunscreen everytime I go outside for a long period of time now. I recommend Bullfrog Sunblock Quik Gel Sport Spray as it goes on clear without needing to be rubbed in. Now I'm relaxing inside with a bowl of pistachios and a BIG glass of water.

Here's what I planted today:

First, I planted seeds of borage, sweet william and cardinal climber vine in hanging plant baskets, similar to these: 18" Hanging Basket. The Hubs and his mom bought me two of these last year from the dollar store and I had no idea what to plant in them, so they were empty all last summer. I put the baskets on the front porch. Hopefully no critters get in them!

I also planted my squash and melons in the garden today. Four seeds each of Charentais Melon, Butternut Rogosa Violina Gioia, Marketmore 76 Cucumber and Fordhook Acorn Squash. I planted them in a row right in front of the trellis, and between each type I planted marigolds and sunflowers. The same bed will also have okra in it, but I won't plant those seeds until May. The Cippolini onions are in that bed, looking good. I  have spinach and a lettuce mix planted in between the onions, but it is SLOW to germinate. I started out attacking bugs right off the bat by sprinkling diatomaceous earth around the seeds. Hopefully that will help keep squash bugs and squash vine borers out of the garden. *cross fingers*

I replanted beets, kohlrabi and carrots because half of the seeds never germinated. I'm not very impressed with the germination rate of the seeds I bought this year. Next year I'm probably going to branch out and not buy everything from Baker Creek, which is sad because they are a local seed company. However, when the germination rate is less than 50 percent I'm not inclined to purchase from them again. Mostly it's the root vegetables I'm having issues with. The tomatoes, peppers and some of the eggplant came up really well inside. Hopefully the squash and melons have good germination. I planted 2 seeds in each hole just in case, though! There was an extra spot in the root vegetable bed that I didn't know what to do with, so I planted about a dozen green beans in there today, Bush Blue Lake.

Whew, and then I planted herbs in with the asparagus. Last year, at the end of summer, Wickman's Nursery had all their herb seeds for 25 or 50 cents a packet (I can't remember which), so I bought: Triple Curled Parsley, Italian Parsley, Dill, Cilantro, Sweet Basil, Blue Spice Basil, Compact Basil and Cinnamon Basil. I had Thai Basil left over from the last house, so I also planted some of that.

It's been so nice lately, and I've put the tomato, pepper and eggplant seedlings out for several hours everyday. I keep their soil moist, and they all seem to be doing ok. I'm a little leary about putting all of the seedlings out, since the Missouri Extension office doesn't recommend planting nightshade plants outside until mid May. So I convinced myself to only plant one of each type outside, so if they freeze at least I'm not out all of the seedlings. That means I have one of each: Thessaloniki, Black Cherry, Amish Paste, Cour di Bue, and a Yellow Pear that I bought. I planted all the artichokes outside. And then one of each of the peppers: Banana, Poblano, Golden Marconi, Red Cheese, Quadrato D'asti Rosso and Anaheim. Once I get all the peppers planted, I'm going to fill in between them with onions. I still have about a third left of each bunch that I bought from Dixondale Farms.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...