Sunday, April 18, 2010

Asparagus Quiche with Mushrooms & Shallots

I found this recipe at: http://www.andreasrecipes.com/2010/04/12/asparagus-quiche-with-mushrooms-and-shallots/


I used asparagus out of my garden. As I only planted 10 crowns last year, I don't have enough to eat all at one time, so I freeze about 2 spears a day. I finally had 8 ounces of asparagus, so I thawed it and used it in this recipe. I don't have a quiche pan, so I used a 10" square glass pan.

Asparagus Quiche with Mushrooms & Shallots
Makes a 10-inch quiche, serves 8.

Equipment

quiche pan, lightly coated with cooking spray
large skillet
medium mixing bowl

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
4 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic
8 ounces thin asparagus, woody ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
6 eggs, beaten
12 ounces low fat cottage cheese
fresh ground black pepper

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 375° F/190° C.
2. In a large skillet, sauté the sliced shallots over medium heat until they are soft, then add the sliced mushrooms and garlic. Sauté until the mushrooms are soft and tender. Spread the shallots, mushrooms, and garlic all over the bottom of the quiche pan.
3. Layer the asparagus pieces over the mushrooms, then sprinkle about 1/3 cup of the shredded cheddar on top.
4. In the mixing bowl, stir together the beaten eggs, cottage cheese, and remaining cheddar cheese. Pour the mixture over the asparagus layer, spreading to the edge of the pan.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.

Notice there isn't any salt in the recipe. Asparagus seems pretty salty by itself, so it really doesn't need any extra. I refrigerated the leftovers and am eating them today. They are good even after microwaving!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...