Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Garden Report 06.23.10

Oh boy, we have produce arriving soon!
 
This is the same bunch of cherry tomatoes that I photographed last time. None of them have turned yet. But the good news is that none of the cherry tomatoes have blossom end rot. Every other plant-Thessaloniki, Cour di Bue and Amish Paste- have blossom end rot. I read it's due to a calcium deficiency, but can also be caused by inconsistent watering.
 
This is a different cherry tomato plant, just to give some perspective of how many tomatoes are on one plant.  
Yes, that is a yellow pear tomato you see ripening! I wanted to eat it so bad, but it needs another day, so I'm leaving it alone until tomorrow.
 
While I was in Utah last week there was a big storm. When I came back on Saturday, the yellow pear tomato plant was lying horizontal, tomato cage and all. I tried staking it with two bamboo stakes and they held for about 5 seconds and then fell over as well. So I found a hammer and a 2x2 stake and showed it who's boss. It seems to understand that I, in fact, am boss!
 
So I'm not sure which pepper this is. I think it's the Corono de Toro that I bought at Bakersville (Yellow Bull's Horn), but the label stick is gone.
 
I believe this is the Olena Red pepper.
 
I know these are Anaheims. I'm trying really hard this year to let some of the peppers ripen to their final color. Usually I try to eat them as soon as they are green and ready, but I'm going to let a few of the Anaheims turn red. 
 
These are the Cayenne peppers from the MiL. They're her favorite pepper.
 
Tomatillos! They remind me of chinese lanterns. Next time I'll take a picture from the underside of the husk. It's really crazy how the tomatillos set on. The husks set on first, and get large, and then the fruit enlarges and ripens inside the husk. 
 
The cucumbers are blooming nicely!
 
And several cucumbers have set on. These are about 4" long and Marketmore 76 is supposed to get 7-8" long.
 
Green beans. I had two servings of green beans already this week. Not all of the seeds came up; they are three years old so I wasn't expecting a high germination rate. Next year I'll get new seed and probably plant half of a bed in green beans.
 
I can't remember if I wrote this last time, but last week before I left for Salt Lake City I came to the horrible realization that I completely forgot to plant zucchini. I didn't even have it in my garden sketch! Luckily, since the carrots and peas are done (and already pulled up and in the compost bin) there was some empty space where I planted several seeds. What you see above is NOT the seeds I planted last week. What you see is a volunteer zucchini that came up out of the compost that I incorporated into the root veggie bed.  
This is a better shot of that volunteer zucchini plant and how it's taking over the bed!

 
Lastly, one of the hanging planters with borage, dianthus and cardinal climbers. The large leaf plant in the center is borate. The spiny looking leaves are the cardinal climbers. I don't know if the plant to the center left is dianthus or a weed. There are several of them coming up in both planters, so I'm guessing dianthus!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...