Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Garden Report 06.29.10

For the past several weeks, my tomatoes have had blossom end rot. I researched and found out there are several causes: calcium deficiency, too much watering, and too little watering. I only water my plants when they are droopy, and the tomato plants haven't looked droopy in a long time, so that ruled out water issues. I went to Schaffitzel's nursery and the gentlemen there suggested calcium nitrate. There are two methods of application. By the box, mix 1 Tbsp of calcium nitrate to 1 gallon of water; this is enough to water 2 plants. Or, by Schaffitzel's suggestion, sprinkle 1/2 Tbsp of calcium nitrate around each plant and water it in. I chose the second method because I don't keep a gallon container on hand. I applied the calcium nitrate yesterday. Schaffitzel's (I really need to learn this guy's first name) said that if after 7 days the tomatoes aren't better, to apply a second time. If after two weeks, if they still aren't better, apply a third time.

After I did this yesterday, I dreamed last night about a bountiful tomato harvest. Probably because I'm stressing that even after I intentionally planted tomatoes that are ideal for canning, that I might not have enough to can. I'd hate to have to buy tomatoes from the farmer's market to can. But, it's only the end of June, and I don't think I canned tomatoes last year until late July or August.  But.... the tomatoes that will be ready in August are setting on now, so this problem needs to be resolved.

Here's to hoping the dream last night was a sign of a bountiful harvest!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...