Sunday, February 20, 2011

What's for Dinner tonight: Chile Rellenos with a twist

Typically when I make chile rellenos, they are stuffed with cheese, breaded and fried. I saw a recipe in a magazine last year that gave me a different idea. I think the magazine was Food and Wine, but I looked for the recipe and couldn't find it. Here's my version:


Chile Rellenos:

4 large chiles, seeds removed
1/2 large yellow onion diced
2 cloves garlic
1-1/2 c jasmine rice, with water to cook
Can of corn
About 2 oz cheese (I used colby jack, but I would have used Cheddar if we had it), about 1/4" dice
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into about 1/2" cubes

Cook the rice first, according to package directions. I used jasmine rice because that's what I had, but I think it's more of an Asian rice than a Mexican rice. It tastes fine...
Dice the onion and garlic and saute in olive oil until tender. Drain the corn and add to the skillet.
In a separate pan, cook the chicken in olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, cumin and garlic powder.
Add the rice and chicken to the onion mixture.
Stuff the peppers with the mixture and cook at 350 for about 25 minutes.

There will be several cups of rice mixture leftover. I planned this, so I could have "rice bowls" like what I order at Chipotle.

I'd like to add black beans and tomatoes to the stuffing, but the Hubs doesn't like black beans, so that will be a test recipe when he's not at home.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...