Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Almond Caramel Swirls


This year I picked up the Better Homes & Gardens Christmas Cookies magazine. An entire magazine of nothing but cookie recipes. I flagged at least a dozen new recipes to try. This was one of them. 

I tweaked it a little bit because I didn't have almond meal. I meant to reserve some almonds and make it myself, but I forgot. And I wasn't about to buy almond meal - it's expensive! Glad I'm not gluten-intolerant because it would really jack up the grocery bill! (A 16 oz bag is $12! Compared to $2 for a 5 pound bag of flour!) So I did some quick research and found I could substitute ground oatmeal for almond flour. 

I measured 1/2 c quick oats into my coffee grinder and pulsed it until the oats were flour consistency. Don't worry - my coffee grinder was clean!

Almond Caramel Swirls 

1 c butter
11 oz cream cheese, divided into 4 oz, 4 oz, and 3 oz
1 c brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 c ground quick oats (or almond meal)
2-1/4 c flour
30 vanilla caramels, unwrapped

For the cookie dough: 
In a mixing bowl beat 4 oz of cream cheese. Add the brown sugar and mix until incorporated. 
Add the egg, vanilla and almond extract. 
Mix in the quick oat flour and flour. 

Divide the dough in half and roll out between two pieces of wax paper. You want the dough to be about 8 x 14. Put the dough in the refrigerator so it doesn't get too sticky.

For the caramel filling: 
Heat the caramels in a small sauce pan on low. You will have to keep stirring so the caramel doesn't stick and burn. 
Once the caramels are melted, add the cream cheese. Keep heating and mixing until it melds together. 

Spread half the caramel filling on half the dough. Then roll up with the long edge as the leading edge. 

Chill the dough for 4 hours before cutting. 

Cut the cookie dough into 1/4" slices. 

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, rotating trays halfway through cooking time. 

The recipe is supposed to make 96 cookies, but I didn't have my dough rolled that thin, so I maybe got 4 dozen cookies. 

1 comment:

Wilma said...

These cookies look really pretty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...