Sunday, April 14, 2013

We're growing Milk. (Not.)

Today I started transplanting tomatoes, tomatillos and peppers. I only transplanted as many as I had milk jugs to cover. I cut the bottom off the milk jugs and left the caps off. This allows the hot air to escape on warm days, but still allows dew and rain into the jugs, and protects the plants from frost. 
I still have 2 more rows of tomatoes to plant, and possibly more peppers. I went ahead and formed 2 more rows even though I ran out of milk jugs. I wanted to see where the green beans and corn can start. The garden is not looking so big now that half of it is planted. I still have the cucurbit family to plant, too. 
Between some of the tomatoes I planted basil, dill, parsley and cilantro seeds. 

 I also transplanted peppermint and lemon balm. I had it in large plastic pots, that were beginning to break due to the sun. I put them at the edge of the garden, to act as an edge. I can't wait for it to get established so I can mow over it. That sounds strange, but I love the smell of mint. (And the flavor of homemade mint liquor.)

The more I dig here, the more I'm convinced there used to be a farm house here. I keep finding shards of pottery. I found several pieces today that look like they're from a crock. One piece even has the number "2" on it. I'm keeping all the shards in one area.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...