Monday, April 8, 2013

More Orchard, please

Last fall, I planted 9 fruit trees. There were 2 more fruit trees I needed for pollination - one more pear and one more apricot. And I also wanted some pecans. A red Bartlett pear, a Moorpark apricot and two Elliott pecan trees were planted this weekend. 
The 4 trees were planted Saturday, along with 4 sweet cherry bushes, 2 Patriot blueberries, 2 Bluecrop blueberries, 2 Concord grapes, 1 Himrod grape, 1 Canadice grape, 5 Darrow blackberries, 3 Fall gold raspberries and 3 Latham raspberries. 


I got a truckload of cedar mulch from the farm, from when the trees were all cut by the electric company. My brother and the Hubs helped put the mulch around the newly planted fruit. 
I also planted garlic, shallots, onions and potatoes, and a mixed row of carrots, beets and parsnips. 

Sunday I planted 20 asparagus plants. 

And then I called it a day and laid on the couch and read the rest of the day. I was sunburnt and sore and wanted to relax the rest of the weekend. 

Why am I planting all this? I love fresh fruit (and jellies/jams and canned fruit). Right now I spend $50 a week on groceries and most of it is produce since we have a freezer full of beef and venison. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...