Wednesday, September 24, 2014

To My Baby Kangaroo - week 2

Today you are two weeks old (wait, slow down, that means I have to go back to work part time in 6 weeks!).

Your conehead is gone. At the follow-up appointment last week, you had shrunk half an inch from your birth length. That's OK by me. I wish I had a better photo of your conehead so you would understand how crazy it was.

No one told me that I would be so sore from sitting all the time. I sit to nurse you, and I sit to snuggle with you, and I sit (albeit quickly) on the toilet while you're sleeping. I expected to be sore from delivery, but most of that has subsided. The first several days, my chest, arms, abs (wait, I still had abs under all that baby!?) and back hurt from pushing for three hours. My lady business was still a little sore earlier this week, but not sore enough that I needed pain relief. Just enough to remind me it was there and went through something traumatic. It stopped hurting on Monday, I think.

You are eating 10-12 times a day, and hitting the targets for your wet and poopy diapers. (No one told us how excited we would be by diapers, either. We get close to the end of the day and are like, "Baby girl, we need a couple more poopies from you today." Sometimes you get the message and let 'er rip. Speaking of which: you typically poop during breastfeeding. It is quite hilarious, because you stop nursing, stiffen and arch your back, and let out a juicy fart. A couple days ago, you had 6 farts in one diaper during one feeding. It was pretty full, not gonna lie. Dad likes to lay you on your back and make you do bicycle legs, which also seems to relieve your gas.) This means that my days are divided into approximately 2 hour increments. At night, you sleep 4 hours and then we wake you to feed. Otherwise, you would probably sleep the whole night. But we don't want you to starve, so you wake at least once, sometimes twice, depending on what time you go down for the night. I would love for you to have a dependable schedule, but I know that at two weeks that is unrealistic. And I don't want to compromise my milk supply by limiting when you eat.

When you get really hungry, or when you are really angry and crying, you snort. You root around with your nose and sound like a little piggy. Other times, when you seem to be happy, you make monkey noises, like "he he he". You get a lot of tummy time, snuggling on my or daddy's chest. The doctor was really impressed with your neck control for your age. During the day, you seem to sleep most peacefully when you're curled up on my chest. I think because you can hear my heartbeat, like you did when you were inside me.

We've taken several walks in the ErgoBaby carrier. We walked down to the mailbox a couple times this week, watered the fruit trees and yesterday we checked out the tomatoes and peppers in the garden. When we were watering the trees, you fell asleep. I think you liked the white noise from the water hose. Today we're going to attempt to go to the farm and walk Freddy. 

 Daddy misses you a lot when he is at work, so I try to take a picture everyday and send it to him. It's a little hard to take a selfie with a baby in one arm, so most photos are just of you. But here's the one I sent yesterday. You had just finished eating and were starting in on an hour long nap.

This is your "hurry up and get the boob out" face. You get a little grumpy if I am not fast enough, and then you tend to root around on my chest and bite my nipple. So I try to be fast when I start noticing your hunger signs, like chewing on your hands and being fussy. 

Last week, your Dad told the mail lady that you had been born. She now delivers mail to four living generations of our family. You, me, your grandpa, and your great grandma. She was so excited that she sent you a card - your very first piece of mail. I'm saving it for your baby book. (Your second piece of mail was your social security card.) Yesterday, the mail lady came up to the house to drop off a package and I took you out to meet her. She started crying because you are so beautiful and little!

This week you also got to meet your grandpa (the hub's dad). He was in town from Arizona to see his other grand babies in Kansas City and drove down here on Saturday to see you. It was the first time your dad had seen his dad in over 30 years so it was a rather emotional visit.

I think you are in a growth spurt. Your naps have increased in frequency and length. Yesterday you had two one hour naps and a 2-1/2 hour nap. And you ate so much. Like 20 minutes every hour that you were awake. It's hard to keep you awake to eat for longer than that, but I've been making an effort to get you to feed on both sides during each feeding. 

And... don't hate me... I was curious how much I weigh. On Monday I stepped on the scale and was 7 pounds under the weight I was when I found out I was pregnant. Yes, you read that right, 7 pounds under. And you're only two weeks old. And then I tried on some pre-pregnancy jeans and they fit. There is a little more pudge in the front, from all the stretched out belly skin. And I probably lost a lot of muscle mass in my abs, which would explain the lower weight. But holy cow. I was expecting to still have 10 pounds or so to lose. I guess this is what happens when you only gain 20 pounds during a pregnancy, and stay active the entire pregnancy? Pretty flippin' awesome - definitely was a confidence booster. 

1 comment:

Wilma said...

Now you know why your dad nicknamed you Snoot - that was the sound the baby pigs made when they were feeding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...