Saturday, May 1, 2010

Sourdough Wheat Bread Recipe #2

For the second week in a row now, I've made this bread. I like it better than the last bread I made. This bread doesn't get that gross yeasty-wet smell after a few days and it puffed up better. However, after the negative experience with the last recipe, I went out at bought two metal loaf pans, which probably aided in the success of this recipe. 


I got this recipe from Cooks.com (http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,164,149168-246201,00.html):

1 pkg. active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp if you have a jar and not packets)
1 1/2 c warm water3 c. whole wheat flour (I used my 50/50 white/wheat flour mix)
1 c. Sourdough Starter
1/4 c. dark molasses
3 tbsp. butter, softened
2 tsp salt 
2 1/2 to 3 c. unbleached white flour (I used closer to 2 1/2 cups, but both days I baked this it wasn't very humid in the house)
1/2 tsp. baking soda

1. In large mixer bowl, soften yeast in warm (110 degree) water. Blend in whole wheat flour, Sourdough Starter, molasses, butter and salt. I use the bowl from my Kitchenaid mixer to mix everything by hand.
2. Combine 1 cup of the white flour and soda; stir into flour-yeast mixture. Add enough remaining unbleached flour to make a moderately stiff dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth, 5 to 8 minutes. Shape in ball. 
3. Place in greased bowl, turning once. I let the dough rise in my 8 cup Pampered Chef bowl.
4. Cover and let rise until double, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Punch down; divide in half. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. 
5. Shape in 2 loaves; place in two greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch loaf pans. Cover and let rise until double, about 1 hour. 
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from pans; cool. Makes 2 loaves.

The first rise was closer to 2 1/2 hours because I went to the gym. When I left for the gym, the dough took up about 1/3 of the bowl, when I came back, about 1/3 of the dough was puffed up above the bowl. 
The second rise was about an hour. 
My kitchen temperature was about 72 degrees. 
I turned on the oven about 45 minutes prior to putting the bread in it, and baked it for 37 minutes in the center of the oven.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...