Sunday, May 2, 2010

Garden Report 5.2.10 and Bakersville Planting Festival

Today, Melissa and I went to Bakersville for their annual planting festival. What a crowd! There were hundreds, if not thousands of people there! Lots of nurseries set up their plants for sale there, as well as crafty people with dish towels, pot holders, doilies, baskets, soaps, candles and more. There were also several old-timey bands playing and supposed to be several speakers there, notably the editors of Mother Earth and Organic Gardening. We didn't stay long after we bought the plants we wanted. Apparently I'm the only weirdo trying to grow artichokes this year, as no one had them for sale as plants. I did find one booth with tomatillos, and purchased two, because mine are not very large. My plants look like oregano, and the plants I bought today looked like full grown basil plants. HUGE!
Also purchased one Corno di Toro Rosso (Red bull's horn), one Olena Red (vendor said they are good for stuffing, so it is to supplement the Red Cheese peppers I grew from seed), one Anaheim (the ones I grew from seed have been chewed on by something!) one Rosita eggplant, and one Ping Tung eggplant.
Probably should have purchased a few more eggplant, as mine are not quite as large as what I purchased today, but they'll go in the garden sometime this week.

I bought a really awesome watering wand at Lowe's last week. It has seven different spray patterns. I was worried it wouldn't have enough pressure to water with my rain barrel, but it does, and it's like a gentle rain shower. (Unlike the pouring-mad-hailstorms we've had in the last two weeks.)

Today when I got home from Bakersville, I put the plants in the ground that I bought. I also planted Jimmy T and Perkins Long Pod Okra, a row of bush Blue Lake green beans, carrots between the tomatoes and onions, and marigolds and sunflowers with the artichokes. All of the castor beans I planted have come up. I think I will need to plant a few more, but I want to see how the pepper/eggplant bed fills in before I plant more seeds. I also planted some cosmos (free seeds that came in the mail) in the asparagus bed. The thyme and a couple of the basils are coming up that I planted the other week. I think I need to re-seed the Thai Basil though. That was old seed and none of them have sprouted yet. Neither has the Cilantro or Parsley. The Cilantro was the oldest package of cilantro seed I had- I have three different packages of that seed...
The green beans that I planted in with the root vegetables are coming up. Some of the second sowing of carrots and beets are coming up too. The marigolds and bachelor's buttons that I planted with the asparagus are coming up, and the acorn squash, butternut squash, cucumbers and their accompanying marigolds and sunflowers are coming up. I dusted them with diatomaceous earth today. The charentais melons haven't pushed through yet.
I need to get some mulch to put around the plants. I would like more of the cotton seed hulls that the Hubs got for me a couple years ago.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...