Monday, May 24, 2010

Making friends

After several days of not being weeded or thinned, my garden was looking a little hectic. I went home to Cape for a long weekend, worried that my lettuce would bolt while I was gone. The temperatures were in the upper 80s and low 90s all weekend. But when I got back it was still looking good.
I shared lettuce and spinach today with Dave. He's our neighbor to the north. And he confessed to me that his favorite thing to eat garden-fresh is tomatoes. We're both guilty of standing in the garden and eating tomatoes straight off the vine, only to have a mouth full of canker sores and wondering to ourselves "why did I do that??". Well, because garden-fresh tomatoes are the best!
There weren't many other vegetables ready to eat. I had four snow peas, a chioggia beet, a very small golden beet, and a chinese radish. I'd never eaten beets raw before. The chioggia was a lot sweeter than the golden beet.I'll eat the radish tomorrow. I am going to try to be better this year about eating produce as it's ready to eat. Last year I was so overwhelmed with peppers, tomatoes and eggplant that half of it went bad. Granted, it's all good for the compost pile, but it would be even better in my belly! Last week I ate the first kohlrabi that was ready. I grated it and ate it like a slaw, but without any dressing. I also ate a chinese radish last week, but it was really hot. The package says they're supposed to be sweet radishes, and are ripe at 4 inches. The one I ate last week was only about 2 inches and I picked it before I double checked the package. I picked one today that is 4". I hope it really is sweet. If not, I'm going to try growing them in the fall. I'm going to have to do a fall planting for beets, kohlrabi and parsnips anyway because the seed didn't germinate very well.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...