Thursday, July 15, 2010

Vegetable Lasagna

A couple days ago (I think Tuesday), I made vegetable lasagna. I have had really busy evenings, and tonight I came home expecting half a pan left and there was barely one piece left. Turns out, the Hubs likes vegetable lasagna!

So here's what I did:

Last week at the Farmer's Market I bought two each of zucchini and yellow summer squash, that were about 12" long or so. I had a lot of cherry tomatoes and yellow pear tomatoes that needed eating. And fresh herbs to use.

Vegetable Lasagna:
Zucchini and Summer squash, cut in half shortwise and lengthwise, then sliced to about 1/8" thick
16 oz carton of small curd cottage cheese
2 elephant garlic cloves, minced
about 1 cup cherry/pear tomatoes, diced, seeds, skins and all juices kept
8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
assortment of herbs: fresh basil, parsley and thyme

I used a 9x9 glass baking dish.

Mix the herbs and garlic into the cottage cheese.

Layer like so: zucchini, cottage cheese mixture, tomatoes, cheese, repeat.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until the top layer of cheese is lightly browned.

If I'd had eggplant or peppers that were ready, I would have added them as well.

The only problem is that zucchini and cottage cheese have a lot of water in them, so there is close to 1" of water in the bottom of the pan. Next time I'm going to drain the cottage cheese in cheese cloth (or use ricotta instead), and I'm going to try lightly browning the zucchini in a skillet to remove some of the moisture, which will also change the flavor a little.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...