Friday, July 23, 2010

Bread Therapy

Grandma Ettling told me once that when she was really frustrated about something, she would make bread. The kneading of the dough would release her stress.
I realized when I was laid off, I used bread-making as a way to relieve stress. The act of making bread gave me something I had control over, unlike my job search. I applied at every architecture firm in town (except for the ones that I knew had JUST THEN laid off a round of employees. No point in applying somewhere where you know they can't afford to bring you on!), for many retail jobs, for architectural product representative jobs, insurance agent jobs, at an office where they help building owners apply for grants, EVERYTHING I could think of that I knew I was qualified for. And then the rejections all rolled in. Overqualified for some things. Unable to hire at the moment. Other candidates more qualified. It felt like I was getting laid off all over again every time I was rejected for a job.
So I was thinking about making bread again this week. Well, really I want to make sourdough pizza with some of my fresh veggies. Honestly, I forgot about my sourdough starter that was on the top shelf of the fridge, in plain sight. I've looked over it for the last four months or so. When the liquid separated on top, it used to be the color of wheat beer. Recently, I noticed it was the color of a Guinness. I asked Mom if the brown liquid was ok and she said yes, as long as there's no pink. I finally opened it up tonight.... not so good. There are little flecks of black and hot pink inside the jar. And I had dreams of starting and feeding one of those sourdough starters that gets passed around in families and through the generations... I searched online for photos of "bad sourdough starters" and couldn't find anything. Well, here's some photos, in case you ever have a sourdough starter and want to know if it's still usable. If it looks like this, it's time to start over!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...