Sunday, July 25, 2010

Fall Garden planting

Yesterday evening, I had this whole entry written about what I planted in my fall garden, and then when I clicked "Publish Post", blogger asked me to re-sign in to my account and lost the whole entry... weird?!

So, yesterday I planted in the root bed: lettuce mix with beets (both chioggia and golden beets), spinach and endive, and carrots. I planted kohlrabi in the rhubarb bed.

Last night for dinner we had fajitas the easy way, with veggies out of our garden. Mostly anaheim and banana peppers, with a few banana peppers from Melissa's house since I'm garden-sitting. Also used one red onion and one yellow onion. They are between golf ball and tennis ball size. I wish I knew how to make my produce bigger. It's a little disheartening when my produce is half the size of what's available in the grocery store. I know, the commercial growers use fertilizers and the produce is bred to be large, but does it really need to be that much larger than what I grow? Oh well, my peppers taste a heck of a lot better than storebought!

I sprayed my tomatoes down a second time with garden dust on Thursday. I also gave them a third helping of calcium nitrate. I noticed some of my squash still have blossom end rot, so I gave them a round of calcium nitrate as well. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...