Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Garden update

Last week we got A LOT of produce out of the garden. This picture is only one round of picking. The next night I picked a 3 gallon bucket of peppers (jalapenos, bell, banana), and about 4 gallons of tomatoes (cherry, pear, Romas and Amish Paste, Red Zebras, and beefsteak pink heirloom). There was also an eggplant ready, and lots of herbs - cilantro, basil and dill.


On Sunday, I was trying to figure out how to preserve the harvest because I knew we wouldn't be able to eat it all before it went bad. So I made Peach Salsa and Dilly Green Beans out of Put Em Up. This is the same book that I used last year to make Dilly Carrots. 

I also made several batches of fresh pico because we had tons of cilantro and jalapenos to use. And then I froze 7 packages of seeded and sliced bell peppers to use for fajitas in the winter. 

And I went to the farm Sunday and picked almost a gallon of blackberries, so those are in the freezer on cookie sheets right now, waiting to be bagged for later usage.

I think this weekend I will need to can tomatoes because a lot of the paste tomatoes and beefsteaks are ready to eat. I've been eating lots of tomato, basil, mozzarella and olive salads for lunch, and tomato, bacon, Miracle Whip sandwiches for breakfast. Delicious!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...