Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Corn Chowder

Something about cool weather makes me hungry for corn chowder. This recipe is loosely based on a recipe from a cookbook I borrowed from Mom awhile back, The Daily Soup. As usual, I tweaked the recipe, so only my version is below.

Corn Chowder
5 slices bacon, sliced into 1/2" strips
2 stalks celery, diced
1 small onion, diced
3-4 small sweet peppers, or 1-2 regular size sweet peppers, diced
2-3 jalapenos, seeded and diced
2 chipotles in adobo, diced
2-3 small potatoes, cut into 1/2" pieces
16 oz bag of frozen corn
1 quart vegetable stock
1/2 to 1 c of 1/2 & 1/2
handful of cilantro, chopped
2 scallions, sliced thinly

Fry the bacon in a large soup pot. I used my Lodge Dutch oven. If there is a lot of grease, drain it, otherwise leave it in there to saute the veggies.

Add the celery, onion, sweet peppers and jalapenos and cook until almost tender.

Add the potatoes, frozen corn, potatoes and vegetable stock. Simmer until potatoes are tender.

Add the chipotles, 1/2 & 1/2 and simmer for a couple minutes.

Turn off the heat and stir in the cilantro and scallions.

Notice I forgot to add any other seasonings, even salt and pepper... But the chipotles made additional seasoning unnecessary!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...