Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Stuffed Peppers

 This recipe is adapted from The Joy of Cooking. It's what we had for dinner Sunday night.
Stuffed Peppers (Pretty much how I remember Yemista in Greece)


4-5 bell peppers, stemmed and seeded. Steam for about 15 minutes
1 1/2 c rice (I used jasmine rice because I'm trying to empty it out of my pantry)
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pint tomatoes
2 eggs, beaten
about 2 Tbsp fresh herbs (I used Greek oregano and thyme)
a couple Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
a couple Tbsp dried bread crumbs

Start the bell peppers to steaming and the rice to cooking.

Brown the ground beef, drain the grease and add the onions and garlic. Cook until the onions are tender. Turn off heat.

Add the rice, tomatoes, herbs and eggs to the pan. Mix it all up. Salt and pepper to taste.

Lightly spray a pan with oil (I used a loaf pan because my 8x8 pan was in the fridge with veggie lasagna in it still). Fill the peppers with the meat/rice mixture and arrange in the pan.

Sprinkle the parmesan and bread crumbs on top.
Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes.

We ate the peppers with sauteed summer squash on the side, sauteed in a little olive oil with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...