Monday, August 1, 2011

Music Monday: Comparison

Today instead of just giving you a song I listen to, I want to compare two songs I listen to. The first is a classic, "Money" by Pink Floyd.

The second is "Paper Planes" by M.I.A., a rapper who surfaced in the last couple years. I listen to Pandora when at work, and this artist came up one day and I was stricken by the similarities in some Pink Floyd tunes.


I know they are completely different generations and genres of music, but pay attention to how they use sounds in their music. I heard once that Pink Floyd experimented with different sounds to make nontraditional music, such as cash registers and coins, kind of like saying that different sounds are music to different people's ears. M.I.A. uses cash registers, too, and gun shots.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...