Friday, August 19, 2011

Zucchini Fritters

This recipe is adapted from a recipe out of Food & Wine magazine, August 2011 issue for Zucchini Ricotta Fritters. I picked up a zucchini from the farmers market a couple weeks ago and kind of forgot about it... and then ran across this recipe a couple nights ago.




Zucchini Fritters
1 zucchini, large enough so you'll have about 2-3 cups of shredded zucchini
1 large egg
1 shallot, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1/2 c cottage cheese
1/2 - 3/4c flour
1 tsp fresh chives, chopped
pepper
splash of lemon juice

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.

Heat a cast iron griddle or skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle on some olive oil so the fritters won't stick. Fry about 1/3 to 1/2 c of mixture at a time, a couple minutes each side, until they are golden.

Notes:
1. The original recipe calls for ricotta. I used cottage cheese because it's more versatile in our kitchen. I use cottage cheese for overnight oats in a jar. Hey! I saw you scrunch your nose. Try them first!

2. I topped mine with black bean salsa.

3. I forgot to buy a lemon, or I would have added lemon zest

4. This is a good recipe for those zucchini that are close to "beached whale" size. You can pick out the big seeds as you're shredding it.

5. The original recipe called for frying them in 1/4" oil. Way to take something with the potential for being healthy and fry it! I cooked them more like pancakes. The insides were a little gooey-er than they probably would be fried in more oil.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...