Saturday, January 21, 2012

Garden List 2012

A couple weeks ago, Mom asked me to write down a list of the vegetables and fruits that I want in the garden.

I'll warn you, it's a long list.

This is the first year in almost a decade that I'll be planting at the farm. In a huge garden. I could plant everything on my list and possibly not fill the space up.

I have plans for lots of canning and freezing this year. A lot.

I've divided the list into three categories: veggies, herbs and fruit.

Here we go with veggies:
Asparagus (needs a permanent bed)
Green beans
beets
cantaloupe
carrots
corn
cukes
eggplant
garlic
kale
lettuce
okra
onions
peas
sweet peppers
hot peppers
potatoes
pumpkins
radishes (for Grandma Betty)
spinach
zucchini
acorn squash
butternut squash
tomatoes for juice/sauce
tomatoes for canning whole and eating fresh
tomatoes, cherry or grape

I also have some artichokes that I started from seed last year that need to be transplanted. I have leftover seed for a lot of these veggies, but some of them date back to 2009 so I'm not sure if they'll germinate.

Fruit (Including nuts. Varieties listed are what I found at Stark Brothers, a nursery in Louisiana, MO)
Apples (Starkrimson Red Delicious, JonARed Jonathan)
Blueberries (Jersey, Earliblue)
Cherries (North Star Pie, Royalton Sweet)
Peaches (Polar peach special: Intrepid and Reliance)
Pears (Bartlett, Starking Delicious)
Strawberries (a june bearing variety not an everbearing)
Rhubarb
Raspberries

Herbs:
Bay
Basil
Chives (I have this in a pot but it might not survive the winter)
Cilantro
Dill
Epazote (for beans)
Lemongrass (I have in a pot)
Mint (I have peppermint in pots)
Oregano
Rosemary (I have in a pot, but it also might not survive the winter.)
Sage (I have a pretty big sage plant in Springfield but I'm afraid it might not survive a transplant. And it's kind of been a tradition since the Hubs and I started living together that I buy a new sage plant at each house. We're on plant #3 now.)
Tarragon (I started this from seed but I don't think it's getting enough warmth/light.)
Thyme (I have in a pot)
Parsley
Cumin

I have seeds for many of the herbs too and most of them are only from 2011.

I've also been in discussion with Grandma and Dad about getting new chicks this Spring. I want fresh eggs again, and I want to learn how to butcher chickens. I know that's kind of a gross thing to admit, but I figure while I still have Grandma around it would be easiest to learn. She raised and butchered a lot of chickens when she was growing up. 

I may need to purchase a new grow lamp and seedling heat mat as the ones out in Springfield are packed and lost in the abyss of the storage unit. Guess I need to start hunting soon because the nightshade family of vegetables will need to be started soon!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...