Sunday, July 24, 2011

Garden Report 07.24.11

 There are a lot of cherry tomatoes setting on.
 and Thessaloniki tomatoes.

and banana peppers.

Today I saw the praying mantis again, but I didn't have my camera and by the time I got back outside with it he was in hiding again. I have been looking for him all week but didn't see him because he is no longer green. He now has on his hunter camo!

The tomatoes and green beans have been attacked by spider mites. I sprayed them down with pyrethrin and dipel dust. Hopefully that gets rid of them...

The Japanese beetles arrived this week but they aren't near as bad as last year.

This week I reapplied fertilizer to select plants. As a control group, I have only fertilized the plants that have the name tags. I can't really tell a difference in growth or health between fertilized and unfertilized plants. I also put calcium nitrate around some of the peppers because I noticed some blossom end rot.

I put some bagged dirt in the root veggie bed. The dirt in the beds settled quite a bit since it was put in.

Today, I also started working on the landscaping in front of the house. I rearranged the landscape block so it curves around to the porch steps. I'm thinking of putting landscape edging along the backside of it so dirt doesn't escape under the porch. I can't decide if I want one or two layers of block. A second layer will cost about $50...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...