Thursday, July 21, 2011

Peach Pie

This recipe comes from The Taste of Home Baking Book that my roomie Amanda gave me. I made the pie Monday night.

Classic Pie Pastry
For double-crust pie:
2 c all purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
2/3 c shortening
6 to 7 Tbsp cold water

Combine the flour and salt. Then cut in the shortening with a pastry blender until it forms coarse crumbs. Add water a tablespoon at a time until a ball forms. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Divide dough into two balls, with one slightly larger. Roll out and transfer to a 9 or 10 inch pie plate. (The easy way to do this: after you roll out the pie crust to the desired thickness, roll the pie crust around the rolling pin and then unroll it across the top of the pie pan.)
Trim pastry even with edge of pie plate.

Then add the filling:
5 c sliced fresh peaches
2 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp almond extract
1 c sugar
1/4 c cornstarch
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter

Combine peaches, lemon juice and almond extract. In separate bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg and salt. (I just mixed all this into the peaches because I didn't want to dirty up another bowl.) Add to peach mixture and mix. Pour into crust. Dot with butter.

Roll out the top crust, place over filling and flute edges. Cover edges loosely with aluminum foil.

Bake at 400 for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

The peach filling recipe also called for 1/2 tsp grated orange peel, but I didn't add that. I forgot to add the salt to the filling and could definitely tell.

And.... I didn't take a picture because 1) it was late and I was ready for bed, 2) I can't flute pie edges and 3) The pie is almost gone. It's really good for breakfast.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...