Monday, July 4, 2011

Photoshoot with a Praying Mantis

Every year I garden and am amazed at the huge sunflowers that grow from a 1/4" seed, and the dozens of tomatoes that are produced from one seed. I'm also amazed at the insects that choose to make their home in my garden, such as ladybug larvae (which look like tiny red and black alligators), butterflies and their caterpillars, and praying mantises.
This morning I was trimming back the parsley. Both the curly and flat leafed varieties had gone to seed and I was trying to get the tops out of the way so the asparagus would get more sun. As I was trimming the flat leaf parsley, I spotted a tiny praying mantis. I watched him for a couple minutes and then decided to chance it to go run and get my camera. When I came back two of his siblings had joined in as well.  To give you a sense of scale, their entire bodies were about the length of my thumbnail! (Click on each picture to make it larger!)
There's one in the middle

One in the middle.

Both are toward the top of the photo

All three in this photo. Two toward the top left and one bottom center

I tried to get a closeup but my phone camera wouldn't focus correctly.

Two in this photo
Oh the wonder of it all!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...