Sunday, July 31, 2011

Rosemary and Onion Focaccia

For Christmas last year from my MiL, I received two books. Both were books on my Amazon.com wishlist. One was a bird identification book (so I could put names to all those birds in my garden and at the lake), and the other was Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day.

Earlier this week I made the Boule recipe out of this book. It made four pounds of dough:
3 c lukewarm water
1 1/2 Tbsp yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
6 1/2 c flour

Mix it all together until moist. Don't knead! Let rise for two hours. Then either put in the fridge, covered, or make some bread!

Then pull off a pound of dough, shape it and let it rise for 40 minutes on a pizza peel covered in cornmeal.

20 minutes before putting the bread in the oven, put a baking stone in the oven and preheat to 450.

Right before putting in the oven, slash the top of the loaf then bake for 30 minutes.

Later in the week, I made pizza.

 Pull off a pound of dough and roll it out to 1/8" thick. Put on a pizza peel covered in cornmeal.
I used half a tomato and several leaves of basil from the farmer's market, olives (quartered), mozzarella and a drizzle of olive oil.

Preheat a baking stone in the oven to 500 20 minutes before baking. Then bake for 10 minutes on a baking stone.

And today, I made Rosemary Onion Focaccia.




Twenty minutes before baking, heat the oven to 425.

Roll out 1 pound of dough to 1/2" to 3/4" thick. Place on a greased cookie sheet, or a silicone baking mat on a cookie sheet.

Saute 1/2 an onion in olive oil until softened. Put on dough, with about 1 tsp of fresh rosemary. Drizzle olive oil. sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.

Bake for 25 minutes.

Haven't tasted it yet, but it smells delicious!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...