Monday, July 9, 2012

Rice Salad with Mango and Peanuts

This is yet another recipe from Bon Appetit June 2012. There was an entire article on grain-based salads last month. This one I tweaked a little bit, because I couldn't find black rice at our local grocery store (that's what I get for living in the middle of nowhere where the largest near city is 35,000 people. Not as many specialty shops as  in a city of 150,000 people!)

The recipe says it is 6-8 servings, but I think that means side servings. I am eating it for lunch 2-3 days as the main course.

Rice Salad with Mango and Peanuts
Dressing:
2 oranges, peeled and each wedge cut in half.
juice from one lime
2 Tbsp olive oil

2 cups rice (I used Bob's Red Mill Wild and Brown Rice Mix), prepared per package instructions
about 1 tsp salt, or to taste

1 mango, peeled and diced
1/2 a bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
3 handfuls of roasted, salted peanuts, plus more for garnish
2 scallions, sliced thin
2 jalapenos, seeded, julienned and minced

Prepare the dressing in a small bowl and set aside.

Prepare the rice. Then mix in the rest of the ingredients.

AMAZING. The perfect crunch, salt, sweet and spice.

The original recipe called for black rice (couldn't find it here!), vegetable oil (in lieu of olive oil), fish sauce (mine is really old and not sure if it's even good anymore!), a second mango (which I forgot to buy) and a diced red onion (was on the counter but I forgot to prepare). I am glad I didn't add the onion. It also only called for 1/2 c of peanuts, but as I'm eating this as a main course, I increased the amount for protein's sake.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...