Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Beef taco bake


This recipe is similar to the cheesy chicken rice bake I made last week. I tweaked it a little bit because the Hubs likes hamburger more than chicken. And I kind of forgot it was in the oven. I was packing for my first "business trip" with this job and forgot this dish was in the oven until I walked back in the kitchen and said to myself "What's baking??" Oops. 

Luckily, crispy cheese is kind of tasty and I had extra shredded cheese to put on top before packing it for lunches. The rest of the dish was pretty moist so I don't think the overcooking affected the flavor any.

Beef Taco Bake
about 2 lbs hamburger, browned and drained 
1 medium onion, diced
to taste: garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper
15 oz pinto beans, drained
15 oz corn, drained
2 cups of 5 minute rice, prepared per package instructions (so I ended up with closer to 4 cups of cooked rice)
shredded cheese (I used a taco cheese mix)

After browning the hamburger, mix the onion and spices in and cook until the onions are tender. You may need to add a little of the grease back in to keep the hamburger from sticking/burning.

In the meantime, prepare the rice. 

In a 9x13 pan, mix together the remaining ingredients, except for the cheese, which you spread on top. 

Bake for about 20 minutes at 350 or until cheese is bubbly, or in my case, starts to brown.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...