Thursday, September 20, 2012

Deer chili



The Hubs is a hunter. He got a deer last fall that we're still working on. We have to clean out the freezer so we can fit more deer in this year!. 

This week it was a little cooler in the evenings and overnight than it has been. We had been sleeping with the A/C off and the windows open, but this week we've had to close the windows. 

Tuesday night I made deer chili and cornbread muffins. My chili recipe is pretty much the same everytime I make it, but this time I used the chili seasoning from Aldi's. I wasn't really impressed with it so I doctored it up a little. 

Deer Chili
2 lbs ground deer, browned
1 onion, diced, added to the deer after it is mostly cooked
2 cans chili beans
2 28oz cans of tomatoes (or two pints of home grown tomatoes)
1 packet of chili seasoning doctored with 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

After the deer and onion are cooked, add in the other ingredients and warm through. I typically don't have to drain the deer because it is so lean. 

Cornbread muffins
2 packages of Jiffy mix, prepared per package instructions
2 small ears of corn on the cob, cut from the cob

Mix up the Jiffy mix, then add in the corn. Cook per package instructions. 

We topped our chili with sriracha and shredded cheese. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...