Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cranberry Pecan Lemon Scones


This recipe is adapted from two different recipes in Joy of Cooking. I had some dried cranberries, a fresh lemon and some pecans I wanted to use.

Cranberry Pecan Lemon Scones
1-3/4 c flour
2-1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 stick cold butter
2 eggs
1/2 c half & half
fruit/nuts to make 1/2 cup
zest of one lemon

Mix the dry ingredients together, then mix in cold butter with a pastry cutter.

In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Reserve some of the egg for egg wash later. Add half & half and mix into the dry ingredients.

Then mix in the fruit/nuts. I used cranberries and chopped pecans to make 1/2 c of goodies.
Also, mix in the lemon zest.

Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut into 8-10 scones. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Brush with the eggwash and sprinkle with sugar or salt.

Bake at 450 for 15 minutes.

***I need to test this recipe again, because either there is a typo in the recipe book or our oven is way too hot. I checked on the scones at 10 minutes and they were already too done. Next time I'll reduce the heat to 350 or 400 and check on them at 10 minutes.

The actual recipe calls for heavy cream, not half & half. I had half & half left over from Shrimp and Grits last week, so that's what I used.


I slathered the scones in homemade almond butter and ate alongside a cut up peach and handful of blueberries. And Gevalia's Royal Vinter Spice coffee from Mom. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...