Monday, April 18, 2011

Beef Burgundy

Here's another recipe from The Joy of Cooking It wasn't a recipe on my cooking list, but it was something I'd wanted to make for awhile. Last year was my Grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary and we made beef burgundy (you can't say "beef burgundy" though, you have to say "boeuf bourguignonne" in a French accent, like you'd imagine Julia Childs to say it), but we put it all in a big foil pan, marinated it overnight, and then baked it. The beef didn't get browned like it does in this recipe.













As with other recipes in this book, the ingredients are mixed in with the instructions. 
Here's the huge piece of chuck roast I used. It was at least 2 pounds, maybe 3. We have half a dozen of these in the freezer, so I'm trying to use them up. We are down to very few cuts of meat and the Hubs is thinking of ordering another cow soon. (My next recipe will probably tackle one of the half dozen ham hocks we have... What do you make besides ham and beans with ham hocks? The Hubs doesn't like ham and beans...)

Cut 2-3 pounds of stew meat into 2" cubes.
Place in a large bowl (or 9x13 if that's what you have!) with:
2 c. dry red wine (I used Yellowtail Pinot Noir. It took almost half a bottle.)
1/4 c olive oil
1 onion, chopped (I used a large yellow onion)
1 carrot (seriously? ONE carrot? I used about 18 baby carrots.)
1 garlic clove, chopped (seriously? ONE garlic clove? I used 3.)
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp fresh parsley (this is one of the random herbs that decided to reseed itself from last year.)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt












Stir to combine. Cover and marinate for 1 to 24 hours in the fridge. The above photo is before I stirred it. If you use a bowl, you'd need at least a 4 quart bowl. The good thing about using a 9x13 is that I didn't have to stir the meat up periodically, as it was all on the bottom of the pan.
The following photo is post-marinade. Everything was purple!











In a large dutch oven (or something that resembles a dutch oven), brown 4 oz diced bacon. Remove the bacon, saving for later, and leave the grease in the pan. 

 










Add the beef, browning on all sides. Cook in batches. Add oil if needed.













Mmmmm. beef. It made the whole house smell amazing.

Put the veggies in the pot, without the marinade, and brown for a few minutes. Stir in 2 Tbsp flour. Then pour in the marinade, the beef, and 2 c. boiling onions, peeled. (My grocery store sells a bag of white pearl onions that was a perfect amount. It was about 25 onions.)






















Have you ever peeled boiling onions? If you pull off the outer layer of onion, it takes off 1/4 of the onion! So I just peeled off the papery skin.

Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and cook until the beef is fork tender, about 1 hour, covered.

Then add 8 oz mushrooms, quartered and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Add 1/4 c. fresh parsley, salt and pepper to taste. If you want the broth thickened, add 1-2 Tbsp flour.












I didn't add any extra salt and pepper at the end, and it seemed seasoned enough.

The recipe says it makes 6 servings. That's probably a good estimate. I ate it for lunch today, and it made the whole office smell good. I sensed some jealousy...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...