Thursday, April 14, 2011

Today's bike ride results

1.99 miles in 13:09 minutes, average speed of 9.08 mph!!!

I'm starting to get the hang of this shifting thing, which is making riding a lot easier.

And since tomorrow is payday, I'm going helmet shopping. Today a woman wasn't paying attention and gunned her gas pedal backing out of her driveway. Luckily, I was paying attention and stopped for her, otherwise she would have ran right over me. My only fear with riding my bicycle to work is having a bicycle wreck and being left on the side of the road by a hit-and-run dumbass.

I have several reasons for riding my bicycle:
1. Gas prices. I saw an article today with a photo of a gas station in California where gas is $5.40 a gallon, and diesel is $5.77. I filled up for $3.59 today. I can find other ways of spending $45 every two weeks.

2. Exercise! I only live 3.5 miles from work. Why am I driving? I only need to drive when I need to go on site visits out of town.

3. Yesterday, I found out that the parking garage at my office will be closed for the summer for structural repairs. It's a concrete, 3 story garage that was built in the 1970s. Last summer an engineer came out and painted every crack and problem area with bright yellow paint. Our parking garage looks like it has chicken pox... Since our garage will be closed, we will have to find alternate parking. There's a meeting next week to discuss alternatives.

Our lawn mower guy came today (The hubs has really bad allergies, and I can't start a pull string tool for anything, so we have a lawn mower guy.), and I'm glad to say the garden is so far intact. That's not saying much, I know, since there isn't anything hanging over the beds. However, I was afraid he was would mistake the native plants behind the greenhouse as weeds and weed wack them, but he didn't!

2 comments:

Wilma said...

I have a set of short metal fence sections, maybe 8 - 10 inches tall. You're welcome to them to prevent weed-eater accidents to those plants. Just let me know.

Anna said...

We'll see how this lawn mower guy does, but hopefully I won't have to take you up on the offer Mom!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...