Friday, April 8, 2011

I want to ride my bicycle...


 
When I moved to college, my parents bought me a bicycle. It's a Mongoose MGX 21 speed mountain bike. (No, I didn't know that off the top of my head. I wrote it down so I would know what to tell the guy at the bike shop yesterday!) 
For awhile now, I've been considering riding my bicycle to work on days that I don't have to do site visits for work. Because, well, it would take me several days to bicycle to West Plains, which is 1.75 hours from Springfield by car... I've been trying to avoid the road construction near my house and have been scoping out bike routes to work. I clocked one with my car and it's 3.5 miles from my house to my office. According to my BFF Melissa, that should take about 30 minutes to bike, maybe less once I get faster.

These are the tires I used to have on my bike: 26 x 2.0 mountain bike tires. The tires are probably still usable, and I'll probably keep them as long as the hubs will let me, but street tires should be faster and offer lest resistance on the road.

 
These are the tires I installed this evening: Bontrager 26 x 1.5, with new tubes. The new tires put me back $50.00 a tire, and the new tubes about $6 per tube. (This might be more than my parents initially spent on my bike?) I still have to buy a helmet. I went to A&B Cycle to get my parts. They were very helpful, despite the fact that I went in asking for bicycle parts while fancified up with make up and a dress... I got a CO2 inflator, similar to this: Innovations Ultraflate Plus CO2. I need to go back and get a spare tube and a tool kit.

This is what the bike looked like when I took a picture with the flash on; at least we know the reflectors work! (And that the laminate floor in our living room is shiny!)

Oh, and I was going to link to the youtube video of Queen's Bicycle Race, but apparently you have to set up a youtube account due to the "racy" images, and I don't just mean the bicycle race images...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...