Sunday, April 3, 2011

Native Plant Sale



Yesterday, I went to the Native Plant Sale at the Springfield Nature Center. I first heard about this sale when I was in college, working on the LEED Platinum Habitat for Humanity House that was my senior project. We incorporated native plants into the landscaping and this sale was a great resource for us.
There were two vendors yesterday, Pan's Gardens and Missouri Wildflower Nursery. I purchased all my plants from Missouri Wildflower Nursery because they had small plants available for $2.50, or large plants for $4.75 so I could get more plants for the same amount of money. Pan's only had large plants.
The plants I bought are for the north side of the greenhouse, which is shady and will get runoff from the north portion of the greenhouse roof, so it will be fairly moist too. I bought:
Jacob's Ladder x 1
Lobelia x 1
Cardinal flower x 3
Downy Skull Cap x 1
Columbine x 1

I also have Leatherwood Ferns x 3 that I purchased at Lowe's a couple weeks ago. They were in sealed plastic baggies, similar to how Lowe's sells asparagus crowns and flower bulbs. I made sure to buy only ones that had green showing.

Also a short garden report.... I pulled up all the cover crop of winter wheat on Friday evening. The kohlrabi and golden beets have sprouted but nothing else in the root veggie bed. We got a pretty hard rain last week and I some of the pea seeds surfaced and were 3 feet from where I planted them... I harvested 3 spears of asparagus last week, rinsed and froze it. There are a few more spears peeking through the dirt but the weather can't decide if it wants to be hot or cold (example: earlier this week it was 30 degrees, high today near 80.) so I think the asparagus is stunted. The greek oregano, flat parsley, curley parsley and golden oregano have come back from last year.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...