Tuesday, April 12, 2011

French Onion Soup

I love French Onion Soup. When I go to Panera Bread Company, this is my choice of soup, unless of course they have the Cream of Chicken Wild Rice soup and then there's some competition...

The Borders in my town is going out of business (great sadness!) and I went there to check out their deals. I got The Joy of Cooking 20% off. I've wanted this recipe book for awhile now, but I never realized the recipes are written differently than your typical recipe. Instead of an ingredient list at the beginning and the directions below, The Joy of Cooking integrates the ingredients into the recipe:





Here are some step by step photos to go with the recipe
Heat in a soup pot over medium-low heat until the butter is melted:
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
Add and stir to coat:
5 medium onions, thinly sliced
pinch of dried thyme












Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. After about 15 minutes, when they start to brown, reduce heat and continue cooking, covered, stirring until a rich brown, about 40 minutes.

Stir in:
2 Tbsp Cognac or dry sherry (I didn't have any, so I didn't do this. I don't know if it makes much difference.)

Increase to high heat, stirring, until sherry/cognac evaporates.












Stir in: 
3-1/2 cups beef stock
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.













The recipe then calls for topping each bowl with french bread and Gruyere or Swiss and broiling the soup in 8 bowls until the cheese is melted. We have a gas stove, and the broiler is a drawer on the bottom. I am always afraid of putting anything in the broiler other than the broiler pan, so instead I made croutons. Also, I don't really like Gruyere or Swiss cheese.













I bought a loaf of asiago cheese bread from the grocery store, cubed a couple sliced, and baked at 350 for about 10 minutes. Then I put the cubes on top of the soup and put the whole she-bang back in the oven for a little bit.
And yes, I made that bowl in Ceramics class in college.... :)



And that's how I tackled the first recipe on My Cooking List!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...