Wednesday, April 11, 2012

How to Grow Plastic Containers

You could buy these professionally made plastic coats for your tomato plants. Or you could use old plastic containers with the bottoms cut off. I used a variety: milk jugs, gatorade bottles, fruit juice bottles... even a diesel additive bottle. You place them on top of the planted vegetables and then your garden ends up looking like you're growing containers rather than plants:


This odd assortment of plastic containers was required because I went on a shopping spree on Monday at lunch at the local garden center (Sunny Hill):
I bought:
Toma Verde Tomatillos x 2
Sweet 100 tomato x 4
Beefsteak tomato x 4
Cherokee Purple tomato x 1
Ancho/Poblano pepper x 2
Golden California Wonder pepper x 4
Red Bell pepper x 4
Jalapeno x 4
Sweet Banana pepper x 4

In my defense, the 4 packs were $1.99 and the individual plants in 3" pots were $2.99. So it made better sense to buy a four pack rather than individual plants.

But I'm not finished. I'd like a couple more heirloom type tomatoes, and a couple eggplants. Although I have no idea where they are going in the garden.





I covered the plants because even though the Farmer's Almanac said April 7 was the last predicted frost date, this was our weather forecast:



I was standing in the garden after planting yesterday and realized over half of it is planted now. (Shhh. Don't tell Dad.)
 Beyond the milk jugs there is a row of cabbages and peppers, then four half rows of corn. The other half of those rows will be beans. Then beyond that is all that is un-planted as of now. But there are plans for it: squash, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe, sweet potatoes, more beans and corn, and okra.

I've decided these peas earned their name "Early Frosty" because they sprouted faster than the Eclipse peas right next to them, that were planted on the same day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...