Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Queen Bee(s)

 When the queen is shipped with the rest of the honeybees, she is in a little cage, suspended at the top of the larger cage. She is not from the same hive as the worker bees, so they may kill her. There is candy at one end of the cage that the worker bees eat and when they finish it off and release the queen, she is accepted as part of the family.  It's hard to see, but my queen also came with about half a dozen attendant bees.
Me in my get-up.
Me in my get-up. You might recognize the hat; I bought it in Puerto Rico on vacation last year. Mom made a netting veil to keep the bees out of my face. I bought some long, thin gardening gloves from Target. And I'm sporting my Crocs galoshes.

As far as I know, I've never been stung by a bee, so I'm taking precautions against stings in case I'm allergic! I even bought a small box of Benadryl to keep on hand...

Last night, I was checking out the germination progress in the garden and noticed several honeybees on the clover next to the garden. I wonder if they were "my girls"?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...