Sunday, May 15, 2011

Baking powder biscuits

Decided to bake biscuits this morning. There was a chill in the house, even with the heater on. These are called Baking Powder Biscuits, and are from the Taste of Home Baking Book my friend Amanda gave me several years ago.
Notice the funny looking large biscuit in the background?
That was the leftover dough, and honestly prior to baking it looked the same size as the cookie cutter biscuits. Fooled me when it baked though! 
What I was really hungry for was cheesy biscuits, like what they serve at Red Lobster. However, the recipe called for buttermilk which I don't typically keep in the house. (I will pretty soon, though, when I make buttermilk ranch dressing for all the greens in the garden!)

Baking Powder Biscuits

2 c. all purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c shortening
1 egg
2/3 c milk

In a large bowl (I used my Pampered Chef 8 cup bowl), mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the shortening until mixture is crumbly. (I used a pastry blender that I bought at a flea market, that was similar to this one.
Beat egg and milk. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened.
Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to 1/2" thickness.
Cut biscuits with 2-1/2" biscuit cutter. Place 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.


We topped the biscuits with Amish apple butter from the farmer's market and ate them with (cheddar) cheesy eggs.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...