Sunday, May 1, 2011

Grown Up Decisions

Ever since I moved to college and left the family farm I've dreamed of moving back. I haven't lived on the farm for over five years. Each time I go home for a visit, it gets harder to leave.
The Hubs will graduate college in May 2012 and then options will open up as to where to live. He knows I don't want to have kids when we're so far away (five hours) from my family. You know that saying, "It takes a village to raise a child"? I completely agree with that. I grew up within a five mile radius of both sets of grandparents and my aunt Lisa. I wouldn't want it any differently for my children.

There are a couple things we have to consider when moving back to the Cape area:

1. Where will we live? I don't like the idea of subdividing the farm. I know, everyone wants their own homestead, but that reduces the amount of usable land for farming needs. I asked Dad awhile back if we could build a house on the farm and he didn't seem very excited. The Hubs recently told me he would like 5-10 acres so we could have some farm animals. I've always wanted goats, I'd like some chickens and a big garden, and the Hubs said he would like to raise cattle. He's been looking at land, but it's expensive! It would make sense for us to move back and help out with the farm, but we need a place to live. What's also getting expensive is gas. Right now I drive 3.5 miles to work in town. The farm is 10-15 miles from town. If we had our own businesses, would they be in Cape? Would they be on our land?

2. Where will we work? There are very few architecture firms in the Cape area. The main one is Drury Hotels, but there are also several small architectural firms. I might have to start my own business. There are machine shops, but the Hubs wants his own shop. Is Cape really the right fit for us? We want to move back, but we don't want to be unemployed. Is there a demand for our services? I'm going to work on my resume and portfolio again and decide on some places to send it to, but I'd also like to talk to local contractors about potential clients.

At this point, the plan is for me to move home first, because I'd have family to stay with while looking for a job. Then once I get a job and we find a house, the Hubs can move over.

He found an awesome house with land and two shops on craigslist: http://semo.craigslist.org/reo/2347762088.html Anyone want to buy it for us? lol

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...