Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Living without Regrets

I try to live life without regrets. When I go on vacation, I try to take in as much as possible because I might not have the chance to visit that place again. This probably annoys my husband and friends that I vacation with.
I was unemployed for the better part of five months last year. While I enjoyed my time off by baking, cooking, and gardening, I wish I would have spent more time with family. The hubs tried to get me to go home to Cape several times to stay for a week or so, but I was so concerned that I would get that "we want to interview you" call while in Cape that I never went. Looking back, that was foolish.

I know part of the reason I didn't spend as much time at home as I wanted. A family member said that she didn't understand why I didn't just take any-ole-job and not be picky. I tried explaining that I wasn't being picky, I applied everywhere I thought I was qualified to work, sans food service establishments, only to be told I was over-qualified for the position. That's better than under-qualified, but it still meant I spent hours every week scouring help wanted ads in the newspaper and career search websites with no results. This conversation was repeated first thing in the morning on a day that I didn't intend to be my last in Cape, but I was so irritated that I packed my bag and left.

Morals of the story:
1. Looking for a job in this economy is hard. If you have a friend or family member that is unemployed and you know has been looking for a job, be supportive. Don't assume they're not looking or that they're lazy. I probably sent out over 50 resumes and made multiple follow up calls on jobs I thought were worth pursuing but didn't get called in an for an interview on any of them.
2. If you have time off because you're unemployed, take advantage of it. Don't put your life on hold.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...