Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lamb stuffed mushrooms

Lamb tartare? No, silly, it's the fixins for lamb stuffed mushrooms, from one of my favorite blogs Farmgirl Fare. This blog is about a woman, Susan, who moved from California to rural Missouri, from owning a bakery to owning a sheep farm. Here's today's version of the recipe, which changes every time I make it:

1 lb of ground lamb from Raised Right Meats (one of the booths at the Springfield Farmer's Market)
1/4 of a large yellow onion, chopped
2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
8 oz large mushrooms, rinsed, the stems pulled out and diced
1/4 c parsley, chopped
couple Tbsp greek oregano, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste

Last time I made them, I didn't have lamb so I used ground pork and omitted the feta. Afterward, I though cheddar would have been tasty with pork. The first time I made them, I left out the herbs because I didn't have any fresh.

Mix all the ingredients together, form into loose meatballs and press onto the top of each mushroom. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.
I use an 9x9 glass baking dish, sprayed with olive oil.
The largest mushrooms I could find at the store were still pretty small, so there ended up being 5 meatballs, too.


Eating them with leftover grilled potatoes and onions, and a spinach/mixed greens salad from the garden.
I had a short bike ride today. My legs were really tired for some unknown reason, so I rode 1.75 miles in 11.5 minutes. About 9.05 mph.

I also have some harvest update numbers. Sunday we got
3 oz of strawberries

Today:
2 oz mixed greens
2 oz spinach
1/4 c curly parsley
1/8 c greek oregano

Totals to date:
Strawberries: 27 oz
Spinach: 15 oz
Mixed greens: 6.5 oz
Curly parsley: .75 cups
Greek oregano: .125 cups

When I go grocery shopping this week, I'm going to try to remember to write down how much these items cost at the store, and then update my "savings" whenever I update harvest numbers. I want to see which items are most cost effective.

The hardest part is bringing the produce inside and weighing it prior to eating it. I'm known for standing in the garden and munching on tomatoes...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...