Monday, June 13, 2011

Chicken chili tamale pie

Last night, we tried the Chicken-chili Tamale Pie. It's definitely a keeper recipe. 
To start out with, I forgot to buy tomato paste at the store. I've been meaning to buy one of those toothpaste-like tubes of tomato paste because several recipes lately have called for only 1 Tbsp of paste. I didn't feel like running back to the store, so I made my own. My very last pint of tomatoes was transformed in about 20 minutes into paste. Mental note: a pint of stewed tomatoes only makes about 1/4 c of tomato paste! 
This was another recipe from Food & Wine. I get this magazine monthly, and have gotten it for the last 2 years but I rarely ever make anything out of it. This is definitely a year of change. I tore out all the recipes I want to try and recycled the rest of the magazines. This condensed about a 2' stack of various magazines (including Martha Stewart Living, which I used to get) to 1-1/2" binder, which also has other recipes in it, like ones I've printed off from blogs. I'm trying to make two new recipes a week (last week was an exception). If the recipe is good, I'm keeping the hard copy. If it sucks, the hard copy gets chucked. Either way, the recipe gets documented and printed on my blog.

Chicken-Chili Tamale Pie

Preheat the oven to 350.

In a large skillet, heat 1/3 c vegetable oil (I used olive oil) and add:
1 large onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 c fresh or frozen corn
Cook about 6 minutes.

Stir in:
2 Tbsp chile powder
1 Tbsp cumin
salt to taste
and cook for about 1 minute.

Stir in 3 Tbsp tomato paste, then add:
5 c shredded skinned chicken
3 c chicken broth
Cook over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro.

Pour chili into 9x13 baking dish.

For the topping:
In a bowl, mix together:
1 1/2 c cornmeal
1 c plus 2 Tbsp flour
3 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 oz cheddar cheese.

In a separate bowl, mix together:
3 large eggs
1 c plus 2 Tbsp milk
1/4 c plus 2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Then pour over the chili mixture.
Sprinkle 2 oz cheddar cheese on top
Bake for 45 minutes.

Makes 8 servings.

We ate it with a dollup of sour cream and avocado slices.


A couple notes:
For this recipe I needed shredded chicken and chicken broth. Instead of purchasing packaged chicken broth as suggested, I put the 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts in a crockpot on high heat for about 6 hours with a couple cloves of garlic, salt and pepper. (If I'd had onion, carrots and celery I would have put that in the crockpot too, but I didn't have any extra) After 6 hours, the chicken pretty much falls apart when smashed with a fork. Then you also have fresh chicken broth.

I don't have fresh cilantro from the garden yet, so I bought a bunch. I added about 1/2 c chopped cilantro to the cornbread topping.

Next time, we might add pinto beans to the chili. I'm thinking corn kernels in the cornbread would be good, too.

I had extra adobo chiles in the fridge and wanted to use them, but forgot.

Next time I make this, I'll take more process photos. The Hubs was home and hungry so I was a little rushed!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...