Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Throw-together meal

This week I had full intentions of making a couple new recipes. But I've been slammed at work. Monday I worked 11.5 hours and by the time I got home I had no mental capacity to create anything so I stopped at Papa Murphy's and bought a take-home pizza.
Last night I was in a little better shape. Over the weekend I bought a package of boneless skinless chicken tenderloins and I had two leeks in the bottom of the fridge that needed to be used. Here's last night's dinner (which the Hubs took a bite of last night and decided to take a container of it for lunch today, so, WIN!):

Cut the chicken tenderloins into about 1" long pieces. Put in a large nonstick skillet with about a tablespoon of olive oil and cook until almost cooked through.
In the meantime, slice the leeks up (make sure to wash them REALLY well, because dirt likes to hide in the layers).
Season the chicken with salt, pepper, cumin, basil (or whatever your heart desires. I originally thought I'd go more Tex-Mex with this but halfway through decided basil sounded good too. Surprisingly it turned out ok.)
Add the leeks, a can of black beans (rinsed) and a pint of home-canned tomatoes. You want it to cook down a little, so also add 1-2 cups of water depending on the consistency desired.

Cook for several minutes, until the leeks are tender and some of the liquid has evaporated. This made about 4 servings.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...