Sunday, June 5, 2011

Garden Report 06.05.11

I'm declaring strawberry season officially over. The harvest has dwindled to an ounce every couple days, which is three strawberries the size of marbles.
Strawberry harvest total for this season: 65.5 ounces.
The organic strawberries at the local grocery store are $5/pound, which means I saved $20.47 by growing my own strawberries. I'm not counting the investment I made in the plants because I purchased these plants 3 years ago. They've already paid for themselves! I started out with 3 plants that I paid $1 each for and they have spread out to probably 50 plants.

Today I harvested:
1 oz strawberries
4 oz mixed greens
1 1/2 oz spinach

Harvest totals to date:
15.5 oz mixed greens
17.5 oz spinach

I'm afraid the greens and spinach are getting ready to bolt. The MiL's spinach has already bolted, as have my Chinese red meat radishes. It feels like we didn't get an ease into summer this year. One week it was rainy and 50s and the next it was hot and 90s. Ick. The spinach and greens are not nearly as big as they were last year and not producing as much as last year. Last year I harvested 5 gallon size ziplock baggies of greens and shared with coworkers; the leaves were bigger than my hand.

The artichoke plant is crawling with huge ants. I sprinkled diatomaceous earth on the leaves. Mental note: even though the diatomaceous earth bag SAYS it works for ants, that must mean the small ants that eat off dirty dishes in the sink and NOT the huge ants out in the garden. There are still as many ants on the plant, maybe more.

This morning I reseeded:
Golden Beets
Butternut Squash
Acorn Squash
Cucumbers

Some, but not all of the seeds germinated, leaving some empty spaces.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...