Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Turkey burgers and Garden update

I think it's time to pick the artichokes!!!




Oh my gosh. First Lady Obama has amazing taste!


On of the recipes I had on the list for the week was Michelle's Turkey Burgers with Lemon Mayonnaise, from Food & Wine July 2010. There are so many flavors in this burger and just a little bit of a kick. And it's a good thing I ate it with my cooking apron still on, because it was a little bit messy!

3 Tbsp canola oil (I used olive oil)
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 c finely chopped celery (I used 3 stalks of celery)
1/2 c finely chopped Granny Smith apple (I used a whole apple, cored)
2 scallions, thinly sliced (forgot to buy these, so I used about 1 tsp of fresh onion chives from the garden)
1 small canned chipotle in adobo, minced (these are spicy and I liked that, so I used 2)
1 1/2 lbs lean ground turkey breast
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
2 tsp lemon zest
salt and pepper
1/3 c mayonnaise

In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of the oil and cook the onion until tender and golden, about 25 minutes. Remove the onions and place in a bowl. (Next time, I'll cook these at the same time as the burgers)
Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in the skillet and cook the celery and apple until softened, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool.
Add the chipotle, turkey, parsley, 2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1 tsp of lemon zest. Mix together and form into patties. (The recipe says four patties, but I made 6)
Cook in a skillet with the remaining oil. (This time I used 85/15 turkey burger and really didn't need the oil.)

In a small bowl mix the mayo and 1 tsp of lemon zest. (I also added 2 minced garlic cloves.)

I ate the burger on a potato bun with homegrown lettuce, the lemon mayo and the grilled onions.

The Hubs' verdict: make these again!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...